Monday, August 4, 2014

What's Your Motto?

Miss Jackson is in the house!  Today I am linking up for the very first time for Made It Monday with 

Tara from 4th Grade Frolics!!

 SO EXCITED!



I am a complete summer insomniac!  During the months of the year that I teach elementary school, I struggle to even STAY AWAKE until 8 p.m., but once school ends, I guess my brain just doesn't receive enough stimulation during the day and I am WIDE AWAKE into the wee hours for the months of June and July! That's kind of a bummer for me because I am also a morning person.  I love to run and swim early in the day, and then start knocking things off my daily to-do list while my children are still asleep.  It's kind of hard to get that ball rolling at 6 a.m. though if I spent the night tossing and turning!  But, it is what it is and I do believe there is a season for everything.  Right now, I'm in the restless season...soon enough it will be the time of year when I simply can't get enough rest!

I wish I could say that I have something ultra productive to show for all those extra waking hours in the summertime.  But, I really don't...I usually end up spending my time aimlessly strolling around the Internet...under my covers-- where I try to conceal the light from my phone so I don't disturb my sweet husband....who is blessed to sleep like a rock no matter what time of year we are enjoying.

On really gloomy nights, I research medical conditions...and I have myself diagnosed with the scariest of scary before dawn breaks.  But, on happier nights, I stumble across projects that inspire me!  On one such lucky sleepless night recently, I ran across an incredible blog and a really cool idea!!  Andrea, of Life. Love. Larson, created these colorful silhouettes of states that her family has lived in over the years:



Aren't they super adorable?  She has a TON of enviable projects on her blog...but, I also LOVE that Andrea lives in my hometown!!  Her idea inspired me to research mottos of the states my family has lived in, type them up, and display them in our new house!

And, this is what I ended up with....


I am really excited about it!  Most of my house will eventually be decorated in black and white, so I think these will really complement the big picture.  I have invested approximately three whole dollars in this venture.  I purchased the background paper at Michaels, and of course, I just typed and printed the mottos. I rescued the simple frames from my teenage daughter, who had sentenced them to the trash receptacle! Can you believe it?!  

We actually have two additional states to feature, so I left room on the wall at the top and bottom of this column so I can add those states' mottos later....when I find the perfect frames!

Do you know which three states are represented by these mottos?  That's what I plan to ask my new crew of fourth graders to determine when we return to school in a couple of weeks.  I think it will be a great activity to use to teach them some basic Internet research skills....and a little bit about their new teacher as well. 

I have also created an activity on my Teachers Pay Teachers store to accompany this idea....


Please comment to let me know what your state motto is.....you know I will need something to occupy my time when I can't sleep tonight!!!


5 comments:

  1. This is my first summer of being an insomniac so I totally get it. I used to sleep like a rock but haven't been able to all summer. I love your projects & your blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!! You are my very first "commenter"...I really appreciate your feedback!! I hope you get some sleep soon!!! Zzzzzz......

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The bottom one is Kansas! My home state. :)

    ReplyDelete